Future Market: Studio Bohemia




We talk to Patrick Layog of Studio Bohemia at Future Market. A monthly Saturday market organized by 98b, in it's effort to help revitalize Escolta.

You can follow their work at: Studio Bohemia

You can also download the audio of this interview here



Gerome:

Ayun introduce yourself tapos yung background niyo.

Patrick:

My name is Patrick Layog. My wife and I. Merce and I are both industrial designers. We graduated from Philippines Women's University College of Fine Arts.
           
For now, what we do are handmade resin fashion accesories. We make rings, we make pendants, we make bangels almost anything out of resin. Resin and fiber glass.         
           
Our children also make their own crafts.... crochet... ah. Our sons they help us out in our paper mache and other hand-made crafts.
           
What else? Ah we don't have our own store that we rent outside. What we do is we sell at home or we join artisans fairs...

G:

Like this one?

P:
Like this one. Like Escolta 98b's Future Market. And Artesania. Also MaArte organized by the museum foundation. There yun lang ang outlets namin.
           
And aside from that we send our resin products to New York. We have a friend in New York who has a gallery called Bliss and Bliss gallery. That's where we send our resin stuff. And sell them there for three times the price that we can sell them here locally.

G:

Why resin? Why rings?

P:

Ah okey! Resin. I started doing resin when I was in college. That was what.. ah.. mid-80's and then I worked for the manufacture of raw materials in their product development department.
           
So aside from designing and carving the original... designs. I had a free hand at whatever formula I needed to make whatever form I thought of. Conceptualized.
           
So that's what? thirty years already.

G:

Then how it came to doing rings?

P: 

Ah! the rings are the idea of Merce. I do home decor. She does the fashion accesories.

G:

And Ma'am Merce explained last month to me that there were elements in the rings that are ah... upcycled... recycled.

P:

Yes! Computer parts. 'Coz we used to have and internet cafe. So when I closed the shop. What I did was I took it apart and seeing them everyday in front of me. I said, "Why don't I just use them as part of our artwork, our fashion accesories, the stuff that we make."
           
There. I embed the screws. I cut up the motherboards. I get the small components. I put them together and I use them as elements in our designs.

G:

How are people taking that?

P:

Ah.. Actually it's more sellable than the plain resin rings.

G:

How about you're experiences here in the Future Market?

P:

Ah Future Market is still on it's infancy so obviusly so obviously more and more people are learning about it and are coming here.            
           
Hopefully, the location will become better in the future. Be cleaner and have a... it's growing. Future Market is growing. It can only get better. I can see that it's gonna get better.

G:

Ah.. Can you invite those who haven't gone here yet, to go here

P:

Okey. I think the focus of 98b is trying to get Escolta back to life. Because of the new Mayor and Vice Mayor, I think it's going to work. I believe it's going to work.
           
So those who haven't been here. You should visite Escolta again. It's a heritage location, heritage site. Of the Philippines.
           
And you should check out Future Market 'cause there's a lot of artists and artisans here who you can talk to directly when you're inquiring about the stuff that they're selling.

G:

Thank's for your time Sir Patrick.

P:

You're welcome.

G:

Thank you.





You can follow their work at: Studio Bohemia

You can also download the audio of this interview here



Disqus for Gerome Soriano