Things that are not supposed to work but do, Solo, Vinyl on Vinyl gallery

Things that are not supposed to work but do, Solo, Vinyl on Vinyl gallery


Mga bagay na di dapat gumagana pero gumagana
Things that are not suppose to work but do

When my sister got sick our late dog unburdened the sickness unto herself. She got so sick, we thought that we would die. Then I tried the compassion mantra I found online, coz the Medicine Buddha mantra I learned at the monastery didn't seem to work, but this one did! Our dog got her health back for like 3 months until it got back. It seemed like she decided to take on the sickness and waited for the perfect moment to say goodbye.
"Ion" bands got famous around 2010s. There were lots of imitations back then. You can see people walking around wearing them. My mother got her hands on some legit ones. I tried it and it worked! Eventually the fad died out. It was called a hoax. But I still have some and use it from time to time. It works for me, I feel it's power!
I found a random "spell" image, dunno why or how, but somehow facebook got to suggesting Anting-Anting facebook pages to me. Found this image - somehow made me feel lucky. I turned it into my desktop wallpaper. I experienced it increasing in my item drop luck in a RPG.
Lakshmi is one of my favourite Hindu deity. I had her mantra on repeat and her image as my phone background before. She always sees to it that I'm financially well.
Whenever I'm going out to fly kites, I take seeing butterflies on the way as a a sign of good winds.
There was a time in our previous apartment when Mom claimed to see ghosts. There was this creepy incident, where she was talking on the phone downstairs. Then someone lifted and talked on the phone upstairs. No one was up there. My Dad then called a local healer - who wrote strange letter combinations around the house and after that, it stopped.
Plus various stories from other people. My friend, artist Neo Maestro collected ghost stories during our installation in Load Na Dito's booth in Art Fair Philippines.
Our Ex-Seminary Theology professor in UST shared some strange stories during his classes.
Some people swear by their favourite Tarot card reader's forecasts coming true.
These strange but true events strike fear, fascination and hope. Invisible forces at work. We can explain through intuition and experience. But not with science and strict logic.
This exhibition is a collection of paintings that I have been doing since 2018 - coded messages, alternate histories, and automatic writings. With the recent addition of healing symbols, which I felt is suited for this pandemic we are currently living through. Things that work but are not supposed to.
How about you? What is your experience with these unusual experiences? I would very much to hear your stories. Message me at instagram @geromesoriaknow or in messenger geromesoriano.

Comapssion Mantra of Avalokiteshvara

namo ratna-trayāya
namaḥ ārya-jñāna-sāgara-vairocana-vyūha-rājāya
tathāgatāya arhate samyak-sambuddhaya
namaḥ sarva-tathāgatebyah arhatebyaḥ samyak-saṃbuddhebyaḥ
namaḥ ārya-avalokiteśvarāya bodhisattvāya mahāsattvāya mahākāruṇikāya

tad-yathā:

oṃ dhara dhara dhiri dhiri dhuru dhuru
iti vatte cale cale pracale pracale
kusume kusume vare ili mili citijvalamāpanāye
svāhā!


photos by patrick ang:

























 

Disqus for Gerome Soriano